A One Day Diversity Training Course
Knowing how to bring out the best in a diverse team can bring untold rewards. Wouldn’t life be boring if we were all the same? The best teams are those where there are a broad variety of skills, working practices and abilities. So it’s incredibly important to understand how to work effectively alongside those who are different to us.
Our Bridging the Gap programme is a one day management communication skills training course aimed at encouraging diversity in the workplace. The programme is designed to bring delegates to an understanding of how and why issues arise in diverse groups and then provide some practical tools and techniques for addressing them.
The structure of the day follows this broad outline:
- What and where is the gap? (There may be more than one!)
- What are the benefits of bridging it?
- What makes it worse?
- What makes it better?
- What can you do as an individual?
The programme comes in a one or two day version depending on the need and the budget. It can be tailored to focus on a particular gap – e.g. the gender gap, or a cultural gap for a multinational company. Or it can be run as a generic programme raising awareness of different groups and where there may be issues.
We tailor the programme to suit the minority group for whom it is being provided and then we hone it on the day to suit the needs of the individual delegates so that their issues are addressed. Each delegate will receive side coaching throughout the programme to make sure they get the best from it and understand how to use the tools, tips and techniques we are offering.
As an example of the sort of thing we include we have shown below exercises taken from our generic Bridging the Gap programme. In contrast a managers programme would address issues such as effective recruitment and retention of minority groups, supporting, coaching and mentoring and awareness of the issues.
Bridging the Gap Learning Outcomes
On our Bridging the Gap programme you will:
- Explore the differences between different groups
- Understand how and why those differences lead to issues
- Recognise the benefits of a diverse workplace
- Be aware of your personal beliefs, values and rules and how they are impacting on the workplace
- Shift some of your unhelpful beliefs or rules so that you stop getting in your own way
- Understand how other people’s beliefs and values are impacting on you and what you can do about it
- Learn how to influence and communicate with different groups in a way that is authentic and effective
- Increase your confidence in being able to deal with issues as they arise rather than letting them build up
- Gain a practical set of tools and techniques that can be used in the issues that you personally face in the workplace
- At the start of the programme we will ask delegates to highlight their specific issues so that we can address them.
Here are some of the exercises we will include in our Bridging the Gap programme:
- Diversity Issues
- Norms of Behaviour
- Our Inherent Bias
- Appreciating Diversity
- Criteria for Success
- Your Personal Brand
- Limiting Beliefs
- Respecting Others
- Specific Challenges
We were particularly pleased to be invited to help the IET launch their Women’s Network with a series of workshops including one on Bridging the Gender Gap.
To book an in-house course or to ask us to consider running a public course, please contact us today.